- 3 small or 1-2 large zucchini (enough for about 25 slices)
- ⅓ onion, chopped
- 400g tin diced tomato
- 225g tomato sauce
- ½ tsp garlic salt
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 2 TBS fresh basil
- 2 TBS fresh oregano
- 1 TBS fresh thyme
- ½ cup parmesan
- 285g ricotta
- 1 egg
- 225g mozzarella
1. Cut zucchini into thick strips.
2. Lay zucchini out on paper towels and sprinkle with salt. Cover with additional paper towels.
3. Put olive oil and chopped onion in a sauté pan over medium heat. Sauté for about 5 minutes until onions are golden.
4. Add diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, garlic salt and garlic powder.
5. Stir everything together and allow to simmer for a few mins.
6. Add fresh herbs when you are done simmering and remove from heat.
7. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
8. In a small bowl combine, egg, ricotta and parmesan.
9. Spray a 9×9 (or 8×8) baking pan with pam.
10. Spread some sauce on the bottom of your pan.
11. Layer 1 layer of zucchini across the sauce.
12. Top zucchini with about ⅓ of ricotta mixture.
13. Top ricotta with ¼ of mozzarella.
14. Top cheese with more sauce and repeat steps 10-13.
15. End with zucchini, sauce then mozzarella.
16. Cover pan with foil and bake for 35 minutes.
17. Remove foil and bake uncovered for another 15-20 minutes until cheese is golden.
18. Remove from oven and let rest for about 5 minutes before eating.
(Recipe thanks to: Like Mother, Like Daughter)