Here is another of your family favourite recipes made healthier! This healthy shepherds pie recipe doesn’t sacrifice taste for kilojoules. It gives you a balance of carbs, lean meat and vegetable all in one dish and it’s tasty!
- 1kg sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 tbsp light sour cream
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 kg lean lamb mince (or beef or turkey)
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 onion diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup frozen baby peas
- ¼ cup of cooked quinoa flakes
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 3 tbsp seeded mustard
- 1 tsp paprika
1. Place potatoes in a saucepan and cover with water and bring to the boil. Salt and cook until tender.
2. In a frying pan, cook the lamb for 5 minutes and then add the onion, carrots and garlic.
3. Cook for a further 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Stir the peas through and remove from heat and set aside.
4. In a separate frying pan, add the cooked quinoa flakes, Worcestershire sauce and whisk in the chicken stock, cooking until thickened.
5. Add the seeded mustard and whisk in.
6. Preheat the oven to 180°C.
7. Pour the sauce into the lamb mix and spoon into a casserole dish.
8. Drain and mash the potatoes until smooth. Stir through the egg yolk and sour cream.
9. Spoon mashed potato over the lamb and sprinkle with paprika.
10. Bake for 20 minutes until the top is slightly golden.
11. To boost your nutrients, serve with a side of green veges!!